Sometimes the best recipes are the ones you just make up. This recipe actually came to me when I was searching my cabinets, freezer and fridge one afternoon. My husband was on deployment and I needed to cook something that would be easy as I had a baby sleeping and another kid who picked at everything that’s not from a microwave.
Out of this desperate need to make dinner that could also double as lunch for the next couple of days, I came up with my:
Sausage, Shrimp, and Rice One Pot
1 Hillsbire Farm Beef Kielbasa link
1/2 pound raw shrimp, deveined
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups cooked white rice
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried flat leaf parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice sausage and cook in olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat just until it’s browned.
- Once cooked, add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes with liquid. Stir. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary and don’t be afraid to add more cumin or chili powder if needed.
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Add raw shrimp, cover, and let it steam in the pan for another 5-7 minutes or until the shrimp is pink.
- Add the two cups of white rice. Stir it all to combine. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately
Makes 4 servings